Sunday, July 19, 2015

London 2015 Day 15 July 14 a free day!

London 2015 Day 15 July 14 a free day

Today I went back to my best places, first to Pain Quotidien for avocado toast (I sure hope they have this in NYC!), then to the BM, and to Handel House!

At the BRITISH MUSEUM I went only to the Greek section, having no time during my last visit. They have a great display showing thousands of years from the Cycladic figurines down to the Parthenon, with vases, small sculpture and large, all in betweenthe early years and the later down to Hellenistic times.

Then I took a bus down Oxford Street to the HANDEL HOUSE Museum. Quite a contrast to the BM. Here is a very modest three story brick house, with only two or three rooms on each floor. Furnishings were scarce as in Handel's day, but there were many paintings on the walls. One room had music displayed with headphones to listen along. Another room was devoted to his friends and their place in his life, taken from a recent book that I had just read by Ruth Smith.

After this I tried a bus back to Trafalgar to meet Ti who had skipped the BM and had taken a bus ride, but I ended up walking half way as there was so much traffic. We met at the National Portrait Gallery for lunch (very expensive roof restaurant with a nice view) and looked through the museum after lunch. Wandering through the Portrait Gallery was disconcerting as there were just so many, most were Britons, but not all. A few interested me, but this was not my favorite place.

Not being ready for a nap we decided to brave Harrods! The 91 bus goes directly there from Trafalgar and it brought us back too. What a place! The rooms really outshine their products in my opinion. The food courts are the best with different themed decor for different products, from sweets to fruits and veggies to pastries, etc. we liked the pastries best and bought some for our breakfast!

That store tired us out so we found a terrace restaurant for tea and a snack, but no scone though for me today!

No comments:

Post a Comment